VA Benefits

Our goal is to assist Veterans and dependents in utilizing benefits available to them. Coastline College is approved by the California State Approving Agency for Veterans Education- CSAAVE for the training of veterans seeking benefits under state and federal regulations. Steps for using VA Education Benefits with Coastline's Online Military Program.


GI Bill® Updates

Announcements and Updates from the VA will be posted on our GI Bill® Updates page as they are provided to us. GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website,


Apply for VA Education Benefit

Complete VA From 22-1990 at How To Apply; Dependents using Transfer of Entitlement will complete form 22-1990E.

Apply/Reapply to Coastline 

New students and students who have missed three consecutive semesters are required to apply through OpenCCC. Visit the Military & Corporate Programs Online Application page to apply. 

Request Unofficial Education Plan

First time Coastline students can visit the Unofficial Evaluation page for more information. Returning students should already have an official student agreement on file and can skip this step.

Register for Courses

Register for courses through MyCoast using the 'Add or Drop Classes' link located on the Registration Page. Select the Military/Contract Ed Term for the appropriate semester. 

Request VA Certification and Submit VA Certificate of Eligibility (COE)

Students must request certification every 8 week term, VA certification is not an automatic process.

Post 9/11 students can visit Post-9/11 GI Bill® Statement of Benefits for current benefits information to submit in place of their COE letter. Students who have recently applied for their benefit may not have received the COE from the VA, students may still proceed to enroll and request certification without the COE. Please make sure to submit your COE once received.

Request Official Education Plan

Students using VA benefits must have an official education plan by the completion of their first semester. Visit our Degree Planning page for steps on receiving your official education plan.

Financial Aid

Students who would like to apply for financial aid should start the process as soon as possible. Please visit Coastline's Financial Aid web page for more information. This is not a required step to use VA education benefits.

Guest Students

Students who are attending Coastline to complete degree requirements for their Primary School still need to apply, register, and request VA certification. Please forward your Primary School Letter to SCO, Rachel Cervantes at or fax the letter to (714)241-6288.


Students that live in the following states and districts cannot take Coastline courses: Arkansas, Delaware, Minnesota, New Mexico, Oregon, Rhode Island, and Washington DC